Townsville high school students putting our faith into action and making a difference in the world
YCS gives students the opportunity to recognise that they have been called by God to be active participants in life, to have ideas and opinions, and to take actions that change their own lives and the lives of the people around them by following the example of Jesus Christ.
YCS is a 'Student Run Movement’, which means that are our leaders are secondary school students. In every level of YCS students are in charge; so whether it's running a local group, being the boss of a paid YCS Worker for your region or representing Australia at an international meeting, the students do it all.
YCS employs the Review of Life technique, known worldwide as the See, Judge, Act method.
SEE: What do we want to change in the world?
JUDGE: What does our faith say about the situation and what is Jesus calling us to do?
ACT: Develop an action that puts our beliefs into action and actually changes the situation.
YCS in Townsville
Since its inception in 2009, Townsville YCS maintained local groups in Catholic High Schools within the diocese.
These groups include:
- St. Margaret Mary’s College
- St. Anthony’s Catholic College
- Gilroy Santa Maria College
- Ignatius Park College
- Ryan Catholic College
This year we are looking to launch a combined parishes YCS group, comprised of youth from around the Townsville Diocese. We are always looking to expand into new schools, so keep posted!
Students have taken tremendous actions within their schools and the wider community. Examples include:
- Running a Multicultural Day to promote cultural awareness and appreciation.
- Volunteering as a team for the Townsville City Council’s Neighbour 2 Neighbour Day
- Establishing a Breakfast Room for mornings so that students get some food into their systems before school.
- Fair Trade has been pushed in schools and parishes, promoting a fair wage and fair working conditions in third world nations.
- The list goes on…
- Over the past year YCS has flourished, with a Diocesan Coordination Team comprised entirely of student representatives, planning and running retreats, camps and social events for YCS students throughout the diocese.
- Townsville YCS has held 2 retreats in 2011. These provided wonderful opportunities to learn, to develop and to meet wonderful like-minded young people.
- 10 Student delegates have just returned from Melrose in South Australia where they spent a week at the YCS National Conference, developing key aims for the next 2 years for the YCS Movement throughout Australia.
- The National YCS Campaign is Youth Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- A diocesan camp will be held at Magnetic Island Sport and Rec facility from the 18th-20th May.
- A Leadership Workshop is planned for later in the year.
- A retreat will be held in the second half of this year for all Townsville YCS students (stay tuned).
For more information on YCS or to find out how you can get involved in Townsville, please contact the Townsville YCS Coordinator.
Phone: 04 0044 6555
Facebook: Townsville YCS